Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Monday Cold with Jeff Bridges and Cocktail Umbrellas

AN UNPUBLISHED POST FROM JULY 26, 2010:

It is not uncommon for me to stay up late and rise at 5 AM after four hours sleep. Of course the downside to that practice is the much needed evening nap of an hour or so.

When I try and go for a good eight hours rest, like last night, I am up and wide awake by 3 AM. All I can do is watch TV. As I dislike most TV, I seek out a movie to watch.

This morning, in addition to being wide awake at 0300, I found myself suffering a terrible cough and head cold. I ventured into the living room where I could sit up, which helped the cough, and turned on the TV. Do you remember back when we all thought TRON was cutting edge movie technology? And remember hanging out at the arcade with a pocket full of quarters, how cool that was? I had not seen the movie in maybe twenty years, around the last time I walked into an video game arcade with a pocketful of quarters. On viewing it at 4 AM this morning, TRON did not seem as cool and cutting edge as it had in 1982.

Now they are bringing back Jeff Bridges and the Troncycles for a sequel. I was thinking about this around 6:30 this morning, when I went back to bed, my stomach full of expectorants and decongestants.

I awoke later that usual and dragged myself to the breakfast table. My daughter, who had squeezed a pitcher of fresh OJ this morning from ten pounds of oranges, took notice of my cold and prepared for me the juice from half a grapefruit, freshly squeezed and poured up in a shot glass with a paper umbrella.

UPDATE, DECEMBER 28, 2010:

I am pleased to report that my cold is gone, and that I have seen Tron: Legacy, and found it better than the original.

1 comment:

Rick said...

After having watched TRON with my 15-yr-old, we both agreed that for being so outdated the story and the graphics still held up amazingly well. TRON: LEGACY was a good follow-up that was better for the tech and for The Dude.