Sunday, October 31, 2004

HALLOWEEN CONCLUDED

Things are now running a bit more smoothly. I have the dog in check, and have learned that it is easier to distribute candy by the handful, instead of straining to carry the handle-less cauldron to the door with each ringing of the bell.

I have systemized the quantity distribution of the candy. Most kids get two. The kids with the superlative costumes get three. Older kids who barely try only get one. (In 1995, when I lived alone, I gave teenagers who did not bother to wear any costume at all single-serving packets of Sanka, out of spite.)

I must admit I am enjoying the costumes. I find it refreshing that the costumes thus far have not all been licensed by Disney. Not a single “princess,” thankfully. (I could go on at length about the “princess” craze, but this is neither the time nor the place.)

Mostly tonight I have seen more traditional Halloween costumes: a legion of witches, three devils, a lion, a horde of ninjas, seven Spider-Men, a parrot, two bears, one Super Man, a mish-mash of zombie types, a few vampires, more than a handful of masked ghouls, and most peculiarly, a kid in whiteface with fangs wearing a Spider-Man costume. I guess the idea was that somehow Peter Parker, having already been bitten by a radioactive spider, was also bitten by Lestat.

The biggest disappointment of the year: not a single Bat Man among them!

6 comments:

Rick said...

by my rough calculations, you have roughly 7.5 pounds of chocolate left to consume this week before it gets old and grainy. am i right? isn't this about the same amount as the box of fund-raising m&m's you ate and subsequently paid for single-handedly back in ninth grade?

Blake said...

So did the hulk of a dog ever catch the bee?

Jeff Stilwell said...

I dressed as an overweight baldo youthminister with the classic go-tee trying to look like a college student by wearing flip flops with jeans. I rock!

Jeff Stilwell said...

I dressed as an overweight bald youthminister with the classic go-tee trying to look like a college student by wearing flip flops with jeans. I rock!

Jeff Stilwell said...

I dressed as an overweight bald youthminister with the classic go-tee trying to look like a college student by wearing flip flops with jeans. I rock!

Rick said...

next? :)