Monday, February 04, 2008

Got a Book 123

Though not officially tagged by Rickwell, I picked up the top book on my table after reading these words from Rick's blog:
  • Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
  • Find Page 123.
  • Find the first 5 sentences.
  • Post the next 3 sentences.
  • Tag 5 people.

This is what I read on page 123 of Mere Anarchy, beginning with sentence six:

Touched by this request for some measure of genuine coin of the realm, Pepkin terminated his treatment, and on the advice of some shyster he plays eight ball with sued me for malpractice.

Unable to handle the sudden downsizing and the hardship that accured when Bergdorf's amputated her charge account, Foxy Brietbart exchanged me even up for an anorexic four-eyed pipsqueak whose computer-chip parent catapulted him, at twenty-five, seven notches above the Sultan of Brunei on a certain list in Forbes. Meanwhile, I was left with a trunkful of sheet music with titles like "The Earthworms of Tuscanny" and "At the Speleologists Ball."

4 comments:

Rick said...

Those who've been tagged did not play; you who were not tagged chose to partake. I am indebted - and am wondering if you're also recommending the read :)

George said...

You've always read more interesting stuff that I.

Alan said...

Oh you made that up, admit it!

James said...

No. I cannot recommend "Mere Anarchy," save for a single short story about a writer who is hired to produce novelizations of Three Stooges movies.

"Mere Anarchy" by Woody Allen is available in hardcover from Random House.