Saturday, June 27, 2009

Serving Our Country


Last week I attended a change of command ceremony for the 8th Airlift Squadron at the invitation of my good friend Steve, at the Air Force base here. (I hope he doesn’t mind me posting this.)

For a civilian it was an honor to receive an invitation to attend, and very cool to mingle with Steve and his family and the other squadron members and base officers at a reception aboard a C-17. (How those behemoths can get off the ground in the first place is beyond me, but I digress.)

The ceremony itself was memorable, and Steve’s eloquent speech to the squadron and its guests nearly moved me to tears. It’s great seeing old friends achieve success in their chosen fields, and as far as Steve is concerned, June 18 was no exception. He’s a fine officer and an even finer friend.

My best to you, old buddy, as you take on new challenges. The work you do for our country and for me, as an American, is so often underappreciated. But without you and the others serving our country in uniform, the United States would not be the remarkable place that it is.

June 18 was a day that I was not only proud to be an American, but ever so proud to be a friend of one who has made countless sacrifices to serve our great country.

3 comments:

Steve said...

It was great having you there on that special day, my old friend. It made it that much more special.

The expression on my face in the picture looks like I'm announcing the invasion of some small country...definitely my serious look.

I'm going to miss you, Jay. I wish you and Caryn and Harper all the best in SC.

Alan said...

"At 0-eight hundred hours this morning, a small detachment of tactical fighters entered the air-space of Tuvalu destroying several strategically placed coral atolls and an aspirin factory. This was the first such strike led by a C-17 cargo plane we like to call, 'the party bus'."
"At this point I'll take any questions you may have and afterward, please join me for some red punch and fig-newtons in the back of briefing room... and oh yes, may God bless the United States of America."

The Nicholsons said...

This is an awesome post and although I don't know you (I'm George's sister-in-law) I just wanted to say Amen to that!