Saturday, January 12, 2008

Farwell to Favorite Toonsmiths

I have been reading the David Michaelis's book on Charles Schulz, which I am enjoying very much. I have always enjoyed Peanuts, since I was a small child, and Schulz's humor and insight instilled in me a love of cartoons that I carry even until this day.

Schulz died in February of 2000 with instructions that no new artists would ever be allowed to draw or create Peanuts comic strips, though new animated television specials, taken from stories previously crafted by Schulz in his comic strip, will continue to be produced.

We have lost several other cartoonists in the last year whose work I have admired:
  • Joseph Barbara, the famed television animator, created and produced memorable shows like The Jetsons and The Flintstones.
  • Doug Marlette, a political cartoonist who won the Pulitzer Prize, was widely known for the comic strip Kudzu.
  • In April both Brant Parker, 86, and Johnny Hart, 76, died. Parker and Hart created the Wizard of ID and Hart alone was responsible for B.C.
  • Iwao Takamoto, creator of Scooby Doo.

And in an unusual and controversial twist, Lisa Moore, a character in the daily comic strip Funky Winkerbean, who was married to perennial favorite Les Moore, died of breast cancer in October.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Speaking of toons - I saw yesterday where the Smurfs turned 50! Peyo died 15 years ago, but the Smurfs live on. La, la, la, la, la, la. I loved that show. I still have three plush Smurfs at home - I got one of them for Easter in 1982. Don't ask me how I remember that.